Teaching Children Shorthand?

I'm a homeschooling parent.  I learned the Diamond Jubilee version of shorthand when I was in high school back in the 80's.  Thanks to this blog, I was introduced to Notehand and Greghand, which I'd never heard of before.  I bought the Notehand book and was delighted to find out that it teaches note-taking skills as well as the shorthand.  I'm currently teaching it to my 13-year old son, hoping it can be a useful tool for him.  He likes the "secret code" aspect of it.  I'm curious if shorthand was ever taught to young children back in the day?  Any recommendations out there for teaching children shorthand?  I'm currently working through Notehand and Greghand, myself, as a refresher.  I did luck out and find the Teacher's Guide for Gregg Notehand:  A Personal Use Shorthand with Integrated Instruction in How to Make Notes.

Labels: , , ,