I'm not alone!

You would not believe the pleasure that finding your website has given me! I learned shorthand as a 15 year old girl in a Scottish secondary school (as part of Secretarial Studies) I only knew that it was 'Gregg' shorthand, and that it was being introduced as a 'new form' of Gregg to the secretarial department that year (1969).

My shorthand and typing served me well, and I have used both keyboarding and shorthand skills almost every day of my adult life ever since (although I am now 50 years old, and a Senior Lecturer in English and Social Sciences at a busy college - and have no 'formal' need of shorthand).

The very strange thing is that, after I left school and gained employment in legal offices, working for solicitors (Scots for 'lawyers'!), I never again met anyone who had studied my form ofGregg shorthand. Everyone used Pitman or a form of Gregg that I didn't recognise. Call me strange, but I always loved this fact! It felt like I always had a secret language to write notes to myself, and for years I have used Gregg to write my diary in - safe in the knowledge that no-one else could read it.

However, I am aware that over the years - my Gregg may have slightly mutated, and that I have forgotten some of the shorter forms, etc. I was delighted to find your website, to know that my language was NOT defunct, and that I could even brush up on my outlines, etc. One strange fact, though, is that according to the timelines on your chart, I must have learned the 'Diamond Jubilee' version - but the 'Series 90' looks more familiar to me. Could I possibly have been being taught the Series 90, in Scotland, between 1969-1971? (I distinctly remember our teacher telling us at the time that this was a 'new, innovative and distinct' form of Gregg - and everyone else I met who did Gregg was doing something different to me...).

Anyway, LOVE the website. Hope to hear from some of you,

Maureen


(by maureenmeeke1 for everyone)

Labels: