Renewed Interest


Back in 1984, I attended a secretarial school, where I was the only male student enrolled in the program. I found it disappointing that a style of writing invented by a man in an era where most secretaries were men later became used almost exclusively by women, or so it seemed by steno classes. With mental-health issues and no car, I found it difficult rising at 4:45 a.m., walking 7 1/2 miles with books, and taking trains to school. This afforded me little time to practice.
I still have my book, Part I--Gregg Shorthand for the Electronic Office (Short Course), a Series 90, by Louis A. Leslie, Charles E. Zoubek, A. James Lemaster, and Gregg A. Condon, along with workbook and transcript book. Back at the secretarial school, the transcript books were delayed in arrival, which made life difficult for some of us. I got as far as chapter 8.
I know some will be critical of me if I pursue learning Gregg again--especially my father. He feels calligraphy is outdated in this computer age. (Calligraphy is another one of my interests.) I think my father would think I wasn't spending my time wisely leaning steno since it is essentially obsolete in schools. (Perhaps you can tell that I worry too much about what other people think.) My grandmother had been a legal secretary for 20 years and could help me learn.
The two main advantages I can see of learning steno would be (1) I could write much faster, which would help me take notes whenever a computer isn't available, such as in meetings and possibly in school if the professor doesn't object to it and no one makes fun of me; and (2) it's very therapeutic since it seems to give me pleasure.
What changes (in the later version) were made since the Series 90 was in vogue?
P.S.: Isn't there a spell check for these messages we post?

(by ted_e------- for everyone)

Labels: