Century 21 & Forkner

A joint discussion about two systems :)

I'm a shorthand nut in general and have looked at everything from ABC Shorthand to Duploy챕, and I discovered books on each of these systems in the library basement stacks today, after having my interest piqued by casual references to them on this site.

First, for Century 21, I gotta say... Why hasn't McGraw-Hill sued for theft of intellectual property? From what I saw, it looks to be identical to Gregg except with a few very minor changes, removals/replacements of some blends, and odd vowel placement... Aside from that, the strokes and even the brief forms looked the same. I was able to read probably 75% of it with no particular difficulty. Is it a variant of Gregg? That would sure explain a lot...

And Forkner. I've looked at tons of alphabetic shorthand systems, and so far this one seems to be fairly run-of-the-mill, but with an interesting twist. It uses vowels similarly to Pitman, with little ticks below or above parts of the word for a/i/o/u. Aside from that and some interesting choices for letter replacements (s looks like a Gregg d, for example), it looks like every other alphabetic system I've come across...

Anyone have experience with either of these systems? If I had the money, I'd just start collecting shorthand manuals left and right...




(by niftyboy1 for everyone)
 

Labels: