Newbie needs advice please!


Hello everyone...I'm new to shorthand, but am excited about the possibility of learning.  I have two reasons for this post:

First, I've inherited a Bible from a dear woman who has passed away.  She had written in it for years, and made it clear that she wanted me to learn from her studies.  Unfortunately, about half the notes were written in...you guessed it...shorthand.  I know it's Gregg, but can't tell which "version".  Because of her age, though, I'm guessing that Anniversary would be most likely.  Does that sound right to you?  I've read the "How to tell which version you use" information on the Shorthand, Shorthand, Shorthand site (great site, by the way...), but it looks like it's really only useful if you know what you're writing, not trying to decipher a mystery document.  I'd really like to figure out what she used so I could learn that version first.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Second, having said all of that, I have picked up a Diamond Jubilee text kit and have started the first few lessons in it.  I don't think I'll have a problem learning to read it, but writing is another matter.  I can't figure out spacing and stroke size.  I'm left-handed, and that seems to be causing some problems as well (everything seems to be curved backwards from how I "feel" like it should go...does that make sense?).  I think I could force my way through, but it would be so much easier if I could find someone in my area (Dallas, TX) to help me get started.  Do any of you have advice on how to find a local teacher?  I'm about to start contacting the retirement homes!
Thanks for reading this far!

(by hvoltz for everyone)

Labels: