An older article, but some might not have seen it

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9406E2D6143DF937A25754C0A960958260&sec=&spon=

A interview in 1996 with Martin J Dupraw who was a champion shorthand writer back in the day of Pre-Anni and Anniversary editions. I'm sure those of you addicted to shorthand enough to llook at the fifth page of Google have discovered it already (such as myself), but its a rare gem of reporting in a world where shorthand seems to have dissappeared off the map.

Heres the gem I discovered at second reading, answering a question about why he didn't go into Law:

A. When I graduated from law school, we were in the midst of a terrific depression and instead of going into law, I went into court reporting. My family went broke, and I had to go out and make some money. You can't imagine how terrible that depression was.
-----------------------------------------
Judging by the financial issues in the air these days, we better start sharpening our pencils, because court reporting is gonna be the NEW skill.




(by michael_lisitsa for everyone)
 

Labels: