Courtroom Reporter's Notebook

From the Expert Shorthand Speed Course (1945), I finally learned what the vertical columns are for in the actual court reporting notebooks. So I thought I'd try my hand at making a template. After minutely examining the graphics of the several examples, there seemed to be minor variations in how the vertical rules should be spaced. So I laid them out as follows:

1/2" - beginning Mr. Burger on direct
3/8" - beginning Mr. Mason's objections
5/8" - beginning witness testimony
and 1 1/2  for the Judge, et al.

I've also attached the graphic that explains the layout.

I'm open to suggestions on how to improve this. Perhaps the last line should be higher to better accommodate the page number? (Not that anyone's actually going to use this in court, but we strive for realism here.) Line thickness okay? And the outer frame?

I'm not sure I got the 11/32" rule precisely, though I made numerous attempts. But I have several brands of steno pads and they all seem to interpret Gregg ruling differently, at least by the time you reach the end of the page. ;-)

Anyway, I just obtained a copy of Testimony Dictation by the great Mr. Leslie. Perusing it has motivated me to study harder!

(by Joel for group greggshorthand)


Attachment: Court Reporters Notebook.pdf

Labels: ,