Brief Form for "Employ"

I was wondering why there isn't a Brief Form for the word "employ".

I would have thought that it would rate high on a list of most commonly used words, especially for a shorthand writer in the business world.

(Also, I particularly dislike the fully written out forms of "employee" and "employees"; they look as though someone has drawn a bunch of cherries (or grapes) at the end of the word.)

The Anniversary Dictionary has "m p l", but I assume the form derives from the Abbreviating Principle as it's not listed as a Brief Form in the Manual.

Gerard O'Kennedy's "Simplified - Third Edition" has the same "m p l", but I'm not sure whether to treat that book as an official publication.

I also wanted to check whether using "m p l" for "employ" (and "m p l e s" for "employees") causes any conflict with the rules for Simplified; I was thinking along these lines because O'Kennedy's use of  "p o s" for "possible" only works because he eliminates the "-pose" suffix.

I don't think it does cause a problem, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks,

Jon

Labels: